[Standards] XEP-0191 leads to stale presence?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sat Jun 22 18:17:35 UTC 2019

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 19:12, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 20:32, Kim Alvefur <zash at zash.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While working on a fix for Prosodys XEP-0191 implementation¹ regarding
>> presence sent to a blocked JID to pretend that the blocking user is
>> offline, and then re-send presence again if they unblock.
>>
>> However, since if you block someone, your view of their presence will
>> become stale. The XEP does not say anything about this. Is it implied
>> that the server should send a presence probe or otherwise try to do
>> something about that?
>>

> Yes.

More usefully:

I always assumed the intent of XEP-0191 was to make the subject appear
offline to any blocked contacts, and make any blocked contacts appear
offline, for the duration of the block.

So as I recall - and no doubt Edwin and Kev can say if I recall correctly -
when I last implemented it from scratch, I had the server probe a contact
when unblocked, and and otherwise make it appear as if both sides had just
come online (or stayed offline, or whatever).

But you're quite right, none of this is in the letter of the specification
(even the intent).

Dave.