[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Sat Jun 29 15:57:14 UTC 2019

On June 29, 2019 4:32:15 PM GMT+02:00, "Jonas Schäfer" <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>It is not clear to me how to interpret, in a library connecting to an
>XMPP
>service, a single SRV record for _xmpps-{client,server} which has `.`
>as the
>target.
>
>For RFC 6120 _xmpp-{client,server} records (note the missing `s`), a
>`.`
>indicates that the domain does not host an XMPP service at all, so
>attempting
>to form a connection should stop right there (most notably, no fallback
>domainpart A/AAAA lookup).
>
>How should this be interpreted for XEP-0368? Should a `.` indicate "I
>do not
>speak direct TLS, but try _xmpp-client records"? Or should it indicate,
>right
>away, that there is no XMPP service on the domain?

According to RFC 2782 it means the service xmpps-client is not available at this domain. So I think the answer should be the former. If there is a similar record for xmpp-client, though, you can't connect the regular way either. Maybe there's still another binding (BOSH, WebSocket) that could succeed, but
defining all possible permutations is a bit much.

>Whatever the consensus is, this should be written down in the XEP I
>think.

Agreed.

--
Cheers,