[Standards] XEP-0368: What does a . for a target mean in _xmpps-client/server records?

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Sun Jun 30 10:33:00 UTC 2019

On June 30, 2019 11:53:39 AM GMT+02:00, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> [..]
>OK, two comments, which are essentially both my fault:
>
>1) It's not A/AAAA fallback "as per RFC 6120", because we're talking
>about
>a Direct TLS fallback. It should be per section... erm...
>2) This document doesn't mention a A/AAAA fallback at all, and perhaps
>that's right - do we ever want one with '368?

I think we should have a fallback, though. RFC 2782, in the section about "Usage rules", clearly specifies the resolution procedure, which includes a fallback using A/AAAA records. E.g. in Twisted, SRV resolution is protocol agnostic, and behalves as in the RFC. Also, and more importantly, I think it is good for consistency.

I believe this also means that when we register the service name with IANA, we have to provide a port number. I suggest 5857, and leave the "why this one?" as an exercise to the reader.

--
Cheers,

ralphm