[Standards] Feedback to Compliance Suites 2020

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Wed Oct 9 19:01:18 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 05:24:49PM +0200, Georg Lukas wrote:
> * Evgeny <xramtsov at gmail.com> [2019-10-09 17:08]:
> > I would like to see BOSH dropped and moving the XEP to historical or
> > deprecated state, because I see zero advantages over Websockets now
> > (supporting both XEP-0198 and BOSH makes no sense at all).
>
> there is still an open issue with WebSockets for anonymous sessions: you
> can't 0198 resume anon sessions because you can't re-login with the same
> credentials, and thus BOSH will survive a page reload, whereas WS won't.
> Until this problem is solved, I'd rather not kill BOSH.

Yes, I was affected by this issue recently.

I don't see how this will get resolved without allowing the client to specify
the full JID it wants to re-use so that it can then use XEP-0198 to resume
its previous session.

At least one server developer was against the idea, IIRC saying that it goes
breaks the semantics of anonymous connections.