[Standards] NEW: XEP-0423 (XMPP Compliance Suites 2020)

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Tue Oct 15 18:27:59 UTC 2019

On 10/15/19 5:05 PM, Georg Lukas wrote:
> as mentioned before, I disagree with that, as in my eyes, 0392 is
> conceptually not different from Avatars in any way, except that it
> doesn't add wire protocol.

I disagree here. I see severe conceptual differences between 0392 and 0084.

0392 only describes logic on how to display things, i.e. it mandates
user interface decisions. It does not describe a wire protocol at all.

0084 mainly describes a wire protocol for publishing and receiving
avatars. The only sentence that contains user interface decisions is in
§7.3 "The receiving application SHOULD NOT scale up an image when
displaying it."
I believe many clients actually ignore this and for some clients I would
probably complain if they wouldn't scale a 5x5 avatar up to the clients
typical avatar size, as it would probably look terrible to not do it.
This is also a nice example where a XEP mandates UI, which maybe was a
good idea back in 2003, but isn't the expected UI nowadays.

When it comes to compliance, I don't expect a compliant client to
display avatars in any specific way, but it should provide means to
publish an avatar and to receive an avatar. Storing avatars in a local
directory is sufficient for that goal. What would be the requirements
for a client to be compliant with 0392? This will become relevant (and
thus should be considered before finishing it) for the compliance badges.

IMO XEPs should never mandate anything on UI. It makes a lot of sense to
give hints how things could/should be displayed, especially when it has
security implications. But a Standards Track XEP (which according to
XEP-0001 describes "a wire protocol intended to be used as a standard
part of XMPP technologies") is not a place to define which user
interfaces are "right" or "wrong".

Marvin