[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Fastening

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Sat Sep 7 13:17:55 UTC 2019

Am Sa., 7. Sept. 2019 um 13:05 Uhr schrieb Andrew Nenakhov
<andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com>:

> Seems like a copy of XEP-0367 Message Attaching. It also shares the same problem: no explanation whatsoever on how to fetch these attachments from a Message Archive in any efficient way. Ideally, we should retrieve a message from an archive with all its attachments. We should also have some kind of notification on reconnecting that a previously received message received/updated an attachment (or attachments) while we were offline.
>
> Without some kind of plan to deal with these issues, any discussion about attachments will result in half-baked XEP that can only be implemented on hardcore 'traditional' clients that enjoy a persistent connection.

I agree that any fastening/attaching/referencing XEP with the implied
intent of making collective retrieval from MAM possible should also
specify (or at least be released simultaneously with a XEP that does)
said retrieval. Both to make the intent of the XEP clear and to make
sure that the generic mechanism really is generic enough to handle
that.

cheers
Daniel