[Standards] Council Voting Summary 2019-08-06

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Wed Sep 11 15:35:01 UTC 2019

On 11.09.19 17:22, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> I recall you stating in the past that Message Attaching would not be fit to
> general referencing use-cases (such as Emoji Reactions), which is what
> Fastening aims at.
I don't read Fastening at aiming a general references use-case, but more
a specific subset of it (small information/markup that is attached to a
single message but doesn't make sense on its own). By specifically
disallowing referencing of messages that reference other messages it
obviously is not a general referencing. It does fit to some degree for
the use cases of Reactions, Delivery Receipts and maybe message edits
(although this is debatable given it apparently needs the special
meaning of removing some unrelated previous Fastenings then).

As I understand Message Attaching, it creates a full-featured message
(that still can receive Delivery Receipts, Reactions or edits) that is
just visually attached to another one.

Marvin