[Standards] MIX: Roster entries -> private PEP node (or something)

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Sun Sep 15 17:21:08 UTC 2019

On Sonntag, 15. September 2019 13:21:17 CEST Linus Jahn wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:20:53 +0000
>
> Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at the last summit we sort of came to the conclusion that we want to
> > get rid of MIX roster entries and instead place 'joined channels' into
> > a private PEP node or some other (non roster) place.
> >
> > The arguments in favor of roster were that it can be used to
> > automatically send presence; However the same is true for any other
> > storage place as the server can just decide to do that.
> >
> > Speaking against putting it in the roster is that it couples roster
> > and MIX (some modern implementations might not want to use a roster
> > but want to use MIX).
>
> I don't think there's anything wrong with the roster.

The issues of using the roster have been enumerated quite a few times already,
most recently in xsf@ [1].

> If you don't use
> the roster for contacts, the roster just will only contain MIX channels.

> The roster approach would have the advantage that you could
> (theoretically) use MIX with _any_ XMPP client. Sending and receiving
> messages to a MIX channel does not require any special extensions;
> clients not supporting MIX just couldn't display user nicknames in
> channels.

But the client needs to know that it has to send type="groupchat" to that
"contact".

> I also think it would make sense to put normal contacts and groupchats
> into the same place, because most modern clients will display them
> together anyway and you could still display them separately if you want
> to.

It does make sense to do that in the UI, but you still would want to
distinguish channels, private groups and normal 1:1 contacts in some way, and
having them in different places allows you to do that without extra round-
trips.

kind regards,
Jonas

   [1]: https://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2019-09-14#2019-09-14-717d8a7759b561ec