[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Authorization Tokens

Andrew Nenakhov andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com
Mon Sep 16 12:00:27 UTC 2019

чт, 12 сент. 2019 г. в 16:28, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net>:
>> As for XEP-0399, well, in all honesty, it looks to be just a vague
>> unfinished sketch of a badly needed XEP with key issues not solved at
>> all:
>

> You're welcome to help finish it.

Suggested XEP-0399 is based on a new SASL method which is not widely
used nor implemented anywhere (to our knowledge). And it is more
concerned with the auth method itself.
Our suggestion is basically PLAIN auth with a very simple
implementation. Overall, the main idea of our XEP is not SASL method
per se, but session management by use of tokens.

>> forbid connections without auth tokens
> You can't do that, since otherwise a user cannot authenticate initially.

The XEP does not impose any restrictions on initial auth methods. In
the beginning a client authenicates itself and is issued a token on
request, after which a server works with this session as with a
session with a token, which could be later revoked in a regular way.
This restriction means that if a client authenticated itself with a
client and did not issue itself a token, a server should drop it,
because a user can not manage such session.

Anyway, we've thought about all of this on a weekend. Our suggestion
is really not about authentication method, it should probably be made
neutral towards them. This means that section 4 (Authentication) of
our XEP should be removed, and XEP should be rewritten. Support for
session management with XEP-0399 and other auth methods can then be
done as a separate XEP.

>> - concurrent devices do not receive any notification on newly issued tokens
> That's a trivial addition if you want it. In fact, we could just to a "current tokens" PEP node if we wanted, though it'd need to be private of course.

You see, many things in messaging are 'trivial' and can be done rather
easily. But for some reason no one bothered to do them in XMPP for
decades.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, redsolution, OÜ