[Standards] PupSub max_items field has no "max" value

Philipp Hörist philipp at hoerist.com
Sat Sep 28 18:12:37 UTC 2019

Hi,

There is currently no value that says make it the maximum the server
supports.

This causes some problems, for example when we want to store bookmarks in
different items like in XEP-0402 proposed.

Default on most servers is max_items=1. So first i try with publish options
and already here its not clear what value i should set for max_items. There
is no way to discover what the amount the server supports is, so i take an
arbitrary number i think is good.

But a different client might think another number is better, so on each
publish each client pulls the node configuration and reconfigures the node
to whatever value he finds useful.

This looks like a bad process. Usually i want to conifgure a node once, and
not every few days because another client thinks a different config is
better.

Writing max_items down in the XEP is also not optiimal. We run into the
same problem if we later change the number in the XEP. Older clients will
configure the node always back to where it was.

I see the same problem with item_expiry, if a server supports that suddenly
it gets impossible to have a item not expire.

Now we could imagine setting the value to 0 means forever or max. But i
didnt find this documented anywhere.

Regards
Philipp