[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC presence versioning

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Apr 1 08:39:30 UTC 2020

On 4/1/20 8:48 AM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> Am 31.03.20 um 20:35 schrieb Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor):
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: MUC presence versioning
>> Abstract:
>> This specification defines a versioning mechanism which reduces the
>> amount of presence traffic in a XEP-0045 MUC

>> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>
> While I understand that we all love disco, wouldn't it be easier to only
> send the ver attribute if one was received from the muc in the past?

That would require that the client received a presence before from the
MUC, i.e., that the client joined the MUC room before. While when using
disco#info, the client can discover the feature and bootstrap that
protocol extension with 'ver' set to the empty string (ver=""), without
having joined the MUC before.

Seems reasonable to me.

- Florian