[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MUC presence versioning

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Wed Apr 1 09:03:16 UTC 2020

On 01.04.20 08:48, Philipp Hancke wrote:
> Am 31.03.20 um 20:35 schrieb Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor):
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: MUC presence versioning
>> Abstract:
>> This specification defines a versioning mechanism which reduces the
>> amount of presence traffic in a XEP-0045 MUC

>> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>
> While I understand that we all love disco, wouldn't it be easier to
> only send the ver attribute if one was received from the muc in the past?

IMO you should already be doing disco for a MUC before joining it, so
this doesn't add much extra work and it has the advantage of adhering to
the prevailing convention.

> Or is that to avoid MUC rooms not understanding this feature
> broadcasting it as part of the presence?
I didn't explicitly think of this, but in general I think it's helpful
to have the ability to know beforehand what features a MUC supports.
> (a MUC should also remove this attribute before broadcasting since
> this would otherwise leak a tiny bit of information about the last join)

I'll add this to the security considerations section.

-JC