[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Tue Apr 7 06:17:31 UTC 2020

Am Di., 31. März 2020 um 20:42 Uhr schrieb Jonas Schäfer <jonas at wielicki.name>:

> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0357.
>
> Title: Push Notifications
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a way for an XMPP servers to deliver
> information for use in push notifications to mobile and other devices.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2020-04-08.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes. It is needed.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

No. At the very very least it requires an additional flag to tell
devices if this is a silent notification or a notification that
actually triggers something human readable.
But even that would be a hacky work around to what we really need; and
that is some form of abstract 'type' (text message, incoming call,
etc)

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

I have both implemented the client side of this as well as the 'app
server' side of things.

No.

Honestly no. When I first read the XEP years ago I had a very hard
time wrapping my head around what should be a really simple and
straightforward concept.
I don’t understand why the XEP is so desperate at using XEP-0060
semantics and keeps describing the app server as a pubsub service when
it is not really one.

Honestly let's just start from scratch with that one; Maybe what ever
Tigase has introduced at summit is a good starting point (I should
actually find some time to look into this again.)

cheers
Daniel