[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0357 (Push Notifications)

Andrzej Wojcik andrzej.wojcik at tigase.net
Tue Apr 7 10:51:35 UTC 2020

>> At the Summit, I've suggested to send all required data within Push
>> notification,
>> but for security reasons, encrypted by XMPP server initiating push
>> notification.
>> Here is a document which describes encryption process done by us at Tigase
>> https://tigase.github.io/tigase-xeps/docs/push-notifications/encrypt/
>
> A bit off-topic: Thanks for sharing this document. I think it's a good
> start for a new XEP on top of XEP-0357.
>
> However, can we please stop with JSON encoding in XML "because it's
> smaller". That claim is not true i all cases (not even most) and also
> not in your specific case:
>
> {"type":"chat","sender":"juliet at capulet.example","unread":1,"message":"Wherefore
> art thou, Romeo?"}
>
> XML translations could actually save a few bytes:
>
> <chat sender="juliet at capulet.example" unread="1" message="Wherefore art
> thou, Romeo?"/>
> <chat sender="juliet at capulet.example" unread="1">Wherefore art thou,
> Romeo?</chat>

I'm not really attached to usage of JSON instead of XML, however in this case we
are using Base64 representation of AES encrypted version of a serialized JSON in XML.

I've suggested and used in this case JSON as FCM and APNs are using JSON
as a payload for delivery to the client, so for client developer it might be easier to use
JSON.

And representation may be smaller in XML unless someone will use characters which
need to be escaped or until someone will put XMLNS on top of this element.

However, I'm good with either JSON or XML as a payload of encrypted content.

> Cheers,
> Marvin

Regards,
Andrzej Wójcik