[Standards] [XEP-0114 / XEP-0225] What error to use when component unavailable?

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Sun Apr 12 13:13:37 UTC 2020

On Samstag, 11. April 2020 17:07:20 CEST Kim Alvefur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I tried to join an IRC channel via a gateway, but the
> client said that the room had too many users in it. Confused, I dug into
> logs to see what was going on and it turned out that the gateway was
> down and the XMPP server bounced any stanza sent to it with an error of
> type=wait, service-unavailable. So, a generic "can't do that right now,
> try again later". Makes sense.
>
> Investigating further, I found this in XEP-0045:
>
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#enter-maxusers
>
> So, in MUC, wait/service-unavailable means "too many users". Why isn't
> this using resource-constraint?
>
> And what error should an XMPP server return if an external component is
> disconnected? Neither XEP-0114 or 0225 seems to have anything to say
> about this.

Since this is a link between two server-like entities, I’d suggest to use
remote-server-timeout with type='wait'.

To a user/client, there is no difference for a remote entity being a dedicated
server or a component. Using s2s-like errors for disconnected components seems
just reasonable to me.

kind regards,
Jonas