[Standards] XEP-0313: pending 0.7 update review

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Fri Apr 17 11:57:05 UTC 2020

On 4/16/20 3:02 PM, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 4/3/20 10:51 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:> The PRs are here:
>>
>> XEP-0313: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/922
>>
>> Feedback very welcome, but I hope we can get this wrapped up and
>> advanced to Draft where it should be soon!
>
> I have two further minor remarks:
>
> I wondered if "fetching a single message" shouldn't be "fetching
> messages by a list of archive IDs", where single message fetching is
> just using a list of size one. If we ever specify "fetch-by-id-list",
> then we would end up with two ways to retrieve a single message by id,
> which feels odd to me.

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that we
should simply specify (and register) a well known field for message IDs
with type list-multi, instead of doing the proposed single message fetching.

I think it would also require less code change compare to stuffing
<forwarded/> into <iq/>. At least for Smack I think this is likely the case.

- Florian