[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Quick Response

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Apr 22 07:58:00 UTC 2020

On 22 Apr 2020, at 08:10, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:

>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Quick Response
>> Abstract:
>> Quickly respond to automated messages.

>> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>
> To make it quick I’ll vote yes in our Council meeting this afternoon.
> I think it's good enough and interesting enough for an experimental
> XEP.

I have very mixed feelings on the protoXEP. It seems like a non-extensible solution to a fraction of a larger problem, which is not great. Equally, sometimes just solving the problem at hand is better than not solving a bigger/more general problem.

The appeal of the feature is obvious.

> Personally I’m finding myself broadly agreeing with what Matthew wrote.
> * UX of data forms is horrible for 'simple' things like this
> * We should consider joining response and action; (That will probably
> mean getting rid of response)
> * We should consider sending the action-accepts as IQs. Having just
> implemented Jingle Message Initiation the uncertainty that comes with
> messages (I’m finding myself trying to track them via receipts) is not
> ideal for 'triggering actions' - Certainly I would like to know
> whether my merge action has actually been merged.
>
> Getting rid of response and making action responses (just the
> want to take the UI in. (Meaning no; you won't see your response as a
> message; but instead button turns into spinning wheel while IQ is in
> flight; and gets a checkmark or becomes gray one success)

I think it needs to be messages because you expect this to be part of the normal chat flow, and therefore to end up in your archive.

/K