[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-04-15

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Tue Apr 28 17:28:09 UTC 2020

* Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> [2020-04-22 16:46]:
> https://logs.xmpp.org/council/2020-04-15?p=h#2020-04-15-515165c7293c9539
>
> 4a) Proposed XMPP Extension: Room Activity Indicators - https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/room-activity-indicators.html

I'm actually very much torn on this. I can understand that you have a
certain use case in mind, and that your use case probably defines all
the parameters that are vague in the XEP text. As it stands, I as a
client developer don't see why or how I should implement this. That
said, I see multiple practical issues with it:

It is not quite clear which aspects of this are user (account) specific
and which are client (full-JID?) specific, and how the MUC service is
supposed to track individual clients.

The vague business rules don't provide a hint on whether to expect one
RAI notification a day or one per second, and what the client is
supposed to do with it - display an "unread" marker? Auto-join the room?
Fetch MAM for the room? Something else?

I hope we can figure out all these during Experimental, so +1

> 4b) PR #924 - XEP-0191: Change service discovery flow to use account instead of server - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/924

While not strictly a vote, I think that the right approach here would be
to introduce the new syntax while demanding from servers to support the
old one, for the next ten years or so.

> 4c) Advance XEP-0357 (Push Notifications) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0357.html

-1

This XEP really needs significant improvement. I agree with Daniel that
starting from scratch might be the best idea. We might use regular
message syntax or maybe IQs for the notifications, and we need a better
introduction into the involved roles and what components this XEP
addresses. And finally, we need to change the semantics to allow the
push service to send different kinds of notifications. I think the
stanza-skeleton approach is a good one to finally implement.

Georg