[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0352 (Client State Indication)

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Sat Aug 22 17:24:16 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 04:05:22PM -0000, XEP Editor Pipeline wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0352.
>
> Title: Client State Indication
> Abstract:
> This document defines a way for the client to indicate its
> active/inactive state.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2020-08-18.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

Plugins for Prosody has been around since 2014¹ and is included with the
latest release.

There exists several modules providing optimization strategies.

No.

I can imagine that delaying stanzas into batches can make it harder to
exploit timing side-channels, as an unintentional bonus.

The specification is intentionally brief on specific server behavior.
I'm okay with this.

A future Informational XEP on what works well and what doesn't would be
great, but I'm not sure we have enough experience at this point. Until
then, experimenting and gathering experience seems like the thing to do.

¹ https://modules.prosody.im/mod_csi.html

--
Regards,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur