[Standards] NEW: XEP-0439 (Quick Response)

Mathieu Pasquet mathieui at mathieui.net
Wed Dec 2 20:27:24 UTC 2020

On 05.05.2020 19:06, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
>Version 0.1.0 of XEP-0439 (Quick Response) has been released.
>
>Abstract:
>Quickly respond to automated messages.
>
>Changelog:
>Accepted by vote of Council on 2020-04-22. (XEP Editor (jsc))

>Note: The information in the XEP list at https://xmpp.org/extensions/
>is updated by a separate automated process and may be stale at the
>time this email is sent. The XEP documents linked herein are up-to-
>date.

Hi y’all,

After looking at this XEP and implementing a bit of it in slix, I like
it and have several observations I would like to make:

* It would be nice to have it available in disco#info, for both sending
   and receiving entities, as <action/> elements are probably not very
   useful if the receiving client does not support it.
* The plaintext reply to the response element may not have
   the correct xml:lang if the client is not aware of this XEP,
   I suggest dropping this requirement for clients which do not expose
   the feature.
* Nitpick: the XEP is named "Quick Response", but then in the
   text it differenciates between the <response/> element named "quick
   response" therein, and the <action/> element.
* Section 5.1 should mandate the availability of textual responses in
   the message body, to make it clear that a fallback is required.
* It is very simple and therefore quick to implement. Some UI guidelines
   should maybe be provided, for example on the max number of actions or

I think it allows for much better accessibility and UI in general for
bot interactions, in direct or group chats.

Best regards,
mathieui