[Standards] Off-by-one error in XEP-372 "References"

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Fri Dec 4 12:31:38 UTC 2020

Hey folks

In XEP-0372 in section 3.1, there is the following text:

> An end attribute is similarly  used for the index of the last character of the reference

However, in the example in 3.2, the "end" attribute is set to 78, which
is the index of the space after the nickname "Juliet".

The example appears to contradict the text. I'd like to fix this, but
I'm not sure what the original author's intention was. I'm assuming the
text is correct and the example is wrong.

AFAIK only Converse.js and maybe Movim support this incomplete XEP.

If anyone else is using it, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know
which offset you're using. Converse is currently following the example
in the XEP, i.e. i+1.

Thanks
JC