[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Character counting in message bodies

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Fri Dec 4 14:15:07 UTC 2020

On 12/4/20 3:03 PM, Andrew Nenakhov wrote:
> Upping a year-old email thread for Florian.

Thanks, but I am well aware of the thread and the situation.

I think this below mixes aspects the XML layer with the Unicode layer,
which do not have to get mixed when counting "characters". Ultimately
what you get out of the textual representation of the <body/> element is
a sequence of grapheme clusters (identified via extended grapheme
clustering algorithm). Those are the entities that eventually should get
counted.

Reply containing rant about how unpractical grapheme cluster counting is
in 3, 2, 1… :)

- Florian