[Standards] MUC Mention Notifications

JC Brand lists at opkode.com
Wed Dec 30 16:49:43 UTC 2020

On 23.12.20 16:16, Marvin W wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I actually was working on something with partially overlapping goals,
> that is
> a) being notified for relevant groupchat messages via push
> notifications. This is mostly relevant for iOS push notifications (at
> least as far as I understood during last summit).
> b) signal to recipient that a message is important to notify about (for
> example, when out of office, still notify for the really important
> things). This is a feature some of you may know from Slack.
>
> I was first thinking to base this around mentions as well, but that
> would mostly work for a, not b (at least not how b is realized in Slack).
>
> I thus was to suggest a much more generic approach, that is to add a new
> element <notify jid="hag66 at shakespeare.lit" /> to the message
> (completely independent of any use of mentions/references). Jid could be
> left out in direct chats, in MUCs can point to the real jid, member jid
> or room jid (equivalent to @channel mentioning), also there might be
> value in an optional priority="high" attribute to signal higher message
> priority.
>
> Your usecase of delivering messages to non-present MUC users seems to
> fit into this schema. Also, adding server-side meaning to something that
> is mostly formatting (mentions) seems a little bit weird to me.

I don't find it that weird. It's more implicit than adding a <notify>
element,
but the XEP requires it to be configured in the MUC and it's not too
crazy to
expect that when you mention someone, they'll be notified somehow.

> Another advantage of the <notify> element approach is that it also works
> for server-side processing in e2ee message (without leaking relevant
> message details) as long as the <notify> is not e2e encrypted (which it
> shouldn't be as it's also meant to be processed by servers).

That is indeed a significant advantage, and I like the idea of being
presented the option (like in Slack) on whether I'd like to notify
the person I'm mentioning or not.

I do see some ambiguity here though. My use-case specifically is
notifying someone who's not present in a MUC, but what about
someone who *is* present in a MUC.

I believe most clients currently will notify a user present in a MUC when
mentioned, but now the presence or absence of the <notify> element
might make the sender-intended behaviour less clear.

Doesn't the absence of a <notify> element mean that
that mentioned user shouldn't be notified at all, even when they're
present in the MUC?

And if it doesn't, then it implies that the <notify> element is meaningless
for users who are currently present in the MUC, which seems semantically
confusing to me, as if the <notify> elements' purpose is not clear from
its name.

Maybe this can be resolve by calling the element "notify-absent" instead.

What do you think?

JC