[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0198: Stream Management

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Fri Feb 14 06:15:43 UTC 2020

13 Feb 2020 9:14:26 pm Florian Schmaus :

> On 2/11/20 4:21 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
>
> > The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0198 before
> > presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
> >

> With the advent of WebSockets and QUIC around the corner, we shouldn't
> miss the opportunity to allow stream resumption over different
> transports (TCP, BOSH, WebSocket, QUIC, …).
>
> I am not sure if this is actually feedback for xep198, as "Stream
> Management for QUIC" could be simply another XEP. But maybe xep198 could
> at least mention that it is not strictly limited to RFC6120-like TCP
> transport bindings, while stream management for other transports are
> outside the scope of xep198 and instead specified in their own XEP?

I think indeed that such an extension is possible in a separate document (and out of scope for '198). Indeed, aside from the resumption target, xep198 is fairly transport agnostic. Adding new resumption targets to SM-over-TCP would also be possible from a separate document (e.g. via stream feature + attribute on <enable/> as negotiation).

Jonas Schäfer
This was sent from mobile, and I'm not good with those. Sorry for brevity and such.