[Standards] Offline Feature Negotiation and Device Lists

Philipp Hörist philipp at hoerist.com
Mon Feb 17 11:33:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Mo., 17. Feb. 2020 um 12:12 Uhr schrieb Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu>:

> One thing I'm concerned about in general is what happens if I start
> sending presence to my contacts. I would get a PEP notification for each
> of my contacts with their capabilities. Bandwidth-wise having hashes
> here helps, but still it is a lot of traffic. Especially for mobile
> uses, it might be better to retrieve this information incrementally,
> through regular disco or perhaps a new IQ-get exchange for CAPS hash sets.

Yes im also concerned about this. Putting stuff into PEP and using +notify
is convenient.

But it clearly does not scale well at all.

You might be ok for 20-30 contacts but not for 300

Just from the top of my head

UserAvatar
UserMood
UserTune
UserNick
UserLocation
UserActivity
OMEMO
OpenPGP

I'm sure there are even more.

This will soon reach an amount where a client simply can't implement these
XEPs because of performance reasons.
At some point we should make this scaleable.

Regards
Philipp