[Standards] Offline Feature Negotiation and Device Lists

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Mon Feb 17 12:14:20 UTC 2020

On 17-02-2020 13:04, Matthew Wild wrote:
> I really don't want to just design an account capabilities system
> without some real concrete use-cases that demonstrate it's our best
> option.

Ok, concrete use case from my time at VEON: calling.

In the situation where most/all of your "known devices" are mobile, the
likelihood of them being offline at any given time approaches 1. If only
because the increasingly strict battery-saving measures in mobile
operating systems.

I would still like to know if there's at least one device that can be
waken up to receive an attempt to call. And only then send a special
push notification, containing a compressed session initiation iq, to
simultaneously wake up a device, have the receiving app prepare for
taking the call, presenting a user interface and waiting for the user to
click 'accept call' or 'reject call', while in the meantime a connection
to the XMPP server is being established.

Yes, potentially you could use information cached from previous times
the recipient's clients were online, but in practice this is quite
cumbersome.

--
ralphm