[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Simple JSON Messaging

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Feb 19 07:57:31 UTC 2020

On 19.02.20 00:08, Marvin W wrote:
> My only main critique that remains is that I fear using JSON inside XML
> on wire can become normal the more we specify around it.
I think this is overestimating the impact a XEP has. The same way as
specified something as XEP does not automatically mean that everyone is
going to implement it, *not* specifying something as XEP does not
prevent anyone from implementing something (similar).

$thing in XML within XMPP is certainly a thing. Be $thing JSON, YAML,
TOML or whatever.
> I also imagine that by going down this route, people will soon ask for
> different notations like YAML (or TOML) to be supported.
> If that happens we also need to answer the question if we want to be
> able to convert between the different notations. And if we convert,
> between notations, which notation goes on the wire?
I think most of the users of such a XEP would simply put in $thing on
one end, and pull out $thing on the other end. I do not believe that the
typical use case requires any conversation of the representation of the
data.

- Florian