[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0198: Stream Management

Andrew Nenakhov andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com
Wed Feb 26 11:02:41 UTC 2020

To now overcrowd the discussion, I'll answer severals email in this one.

пт, 21 февр. 2020 г. в 13:25, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de>:
> Only someone who hasn't been on a German high speed train can say with confidence that desktop and web clients don't need stream management.

This clearly looks like a first world problem. There is no internet
access in russian trains, at all. And, for that matter, there are no
speed trains either, but one between Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.

пт, 21 февр. 2020 г. в 13:37, Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com>:
> You've clearly never experienced my parent's WiFi.

Sheesh just fix it! Buy them a decent router!!! They are like $30 now.
Why do you let your parents suffer a horrible WiFi?!

Jokes aside, I understand that sometimes desktops DO have bad internet
access, but it's rather an exception, than a rule. Anyway, in our
experience our approach works equally well (or better) than SM.

пт, 21 февр. 2020 г. в 13:39, Martin <debacle at debian.org>:
> Yes, mobile ≠ Android/iOS! Many notebook computers are connected
> to Wifi or "mobile internet" and used in public transport,
> (over-) crowded places, or rural areas with flaky connections.

One of the problems of XMPP as a whole is their targeting only small
subset of clients by some proposed extensions, and calling it a day,
despite obvious problems on other clients in different environments.
Proper approach is to target the most difficult plaftorm to work with
(in our world, it's iOS), and spread up from there. Current SM is ...
NOT really suitable for iOS. Thus, we're working out something else.
If Stream Management works for you, well, I don't oppose you using it,
but we seem to be on a better solution without it. Yes, our approach
is harder on the server, but I firmly believe that in 2020 the heavy
lifting shold be done by servers.

--
Andrew Nenakhov
CEO, redsolution, OÜ