[Standards] MIX Join: JID or ID?

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at fsfe.org
Fri Feb 28 13:01:58 UTC 2020

Hi List!

XEP-0369 (MIX-Core) section 7.1.2 about joining a channel states that
when the users server sends a join request to the mix channel, the
channel responds with an IQ of type result. Further it states:

"This stanza includes the nodes to which the user has been successfully
subscribed, as well as the bare JID that will be used for the user in
this channel and added to the participant list. The user's Stable
Participant ID is returned as an 'id' attribute in the join."

However, the given example (example 18)[1] does only contain an 'id'
attribute, but no jid. It is also no further specified in which form the
bare jid should be present.

XEP-0405 (MIX-PAM) on the other hand shows the channels response
containing a 'jid' attribute, but no 'id' (example 6)[2].

What is the correct way? Do we need both 'id' and 'jid' at the same
time? Is one of them optional? Can we deduce the 'id' from the 'jid'?

Paul

[1]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0369.html#example-18

[2]: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0405.html#example-6