[Standards] XEP-0384: Rejecting? [Was: Re: Proposed XMPP Extension: Ephemeral Messages]

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Thu Jan 2 12:55:04 UTC 2020

On 1/1/20 10:03 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> I can't see what we do if we don't have specifications that you can
> implement from. That is surely what we do?

There is a number of XEPs that can't be implemented because they are
inherently broken, have open TODOs in them or lack essential parts of
the protocol by just not mentioning them.

In contrast, OMEMO can be implemented from the XEP (by using libsignal,
requiring GPL) and if you include the specifications under the public
domain from https://signal.org/docs/ (which for some reason are not
referenced in the XEP) and put some effort into it, it should be
possible to do a clean implementation under public domain.

If you are more specific on what you need to implement OMEMO (beside a
link to https://signal.org/docs/ of course) we can surely add that to
the XEP. That is what the Experimental phase is for, to find issues in
the XEP and fix them, not rejecting it because of existing issues.

Also please note that according to my understanding of XEP-0001, the
council is not authorized to move a XEP from Experimental to Rejected
without it being proposed first, which should only happen if the council
agrees that the XEP is ready to be considered for advancement, which
seems not to be the case. Check the nice state diagram at
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0001.html#approval-std