[Standards] XEP-0384: Rejecting? [Was: Re: Proposed XMPP Extension: Ephemeral Messages]

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Thu Jan 2 15:34:39 UTC 2020

On 1/2/20 4:08 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> You keep conflating the notion that OMEMO is incomplete with the notion
> that it is not possible to create an unencumbered implementation. These
> are entirely distinct concepts.

As I said, I am certain that it is possible to create an unencumbered
implementation if the missing parts of the documentation are added. So
this conflation absolutely makes sense.

Just so you are aware: I considered to do an new implementation for Dino
because I don't really like the libsignal. I decided against it because
it would be a lot of work with little advantage for Dino - and guess
what, I am not paid for this work.

If you know anyone willing to do a unencumbered implementation, I hereby
offer to provide all the information that is not yet available under the
public domain and free of charge as it is found to be missing.

But don't claim without any proof that it is inherently impossible to
implement something that is fully compatible with the current OMEMO XEP
without relying on libsignal. Thanks.

Marvin