[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: MAM Fastening Collation

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Wed Jan 8 15:41:04 UTC 2020

I feel that we disagree and I think this is perfectly fine. We can
explore different approaches independently and see which one works out
better and then deprecate/reject all but one later on (after all this is
only about accepting MAM-FC to experimental, not to Draft).

The problem is however, that XEP-0422 is adjusted to match exactly your
approach and thus may not be suitable to other approaches. At the same
time we are starting to require all XEPs to use XEP-0422, thus
effectively hindering exploring other, incompatible approaches. The way
XEP-0422 is designed also makes it impossible to have an alternative to
it and messages that are compatible with both (because the relevant
information is moved to be a child of the <apply-to>, thus not
"reachable" without relying on XEP-0422).

I think it is important that we agree on basic structures that can be
built upon with different approaches and to not bind every future XEP to
a specific approach. This is also required for forward compatibility -
because I am certain that this is not going to be the last time we think
about these issues and we need to be able to do adjustments in the
future that are not backwards incompatible.

Marvin