[Standards] OMEMO:2 Spec Sprint

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 13 13:06:35 UTC 2020

Hi everyone!

With the current discussions and plans around XEP-0384 being retired
soon, some of us found it important to come up with a properly specified
replacement in time.

That's why there will be an OMEMO:2 Specification Sprint! \o/

We are going to learn from the mistakes of the old specification and aim
to create a new iteration which hopefully fixes a lot of little issues
and addresses the concerns raised by its predecessor. Our primary goal
is obviously to break the hard dependency on libsignal to allow for
implementors to use permissively licensed libraries.

If you like to attend, you should have a pretty good understanding of
OMEMO in its current form*.

We are targeting some weekend in the end of February for the Sprint
which will probably take place in Düsseldorf, Germany. More precise
details and a Wiki page will follow once we have a venue.

If you are interested, please let us know by replying to this mail.

Happy Hacking!

*: XEP-0384 and how it's implemented in the wild.