[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0363 (HTTP File Upload)

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Jan 16 13:54:50 UTC 2020

14 Jan 2020 10:41:23 pm Jonas Schäfer :

> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0363. The
> Last Call was restarted after the Council election, because the previous
> Council did not vote on the ongoing LC.
>
> Title: HTTP File Upload
> Abstract:
> This specification defines a protocol to request permissions from
> another entity to upload a file to a specific path on an HTTP server
> and at the same time receive a URL from which that file can later be
> downloaded again.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2020-01-28.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes. While we have Jingle FT for peer-to-peer file transfer, there is no trivial, specified or widely deployed way for peer-to-multipeer transfer. This XEP provides that feature.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

Yes. The awkward wording of the last Requirement can easily be fixed in Draft.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

aioxmpp has support for it, I built a few tools around it, and I think I even added support in JabberCat.

None above and beyond what's already in the document.

Yes.

--
Jonas Schäfer
This was sent from mobile, and I'm not good with those. Sorry for brevity and such.