[Standards] A Meta-Discussion about the Standards Process

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Fri Jan 17 19:27:41 UTC 2020

On 1/17/20 11:38 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Well, yes, but the majority of our end-users are probably Fortnite
> players, and they're not talking to us.
I should have been more precise: I was talking about the open XMPP
ecosystem, not any closed/walled garden XMPP implementations with own
client/server and without federation. Those don't care too much about
the standard anyway (they can just do proprietary vendor extensions and
probably do).

The reason why WHATWG worked is that their specs were implemented by the
majority of browsers (counted in users) and thus websites can and will
rely on these specs. As soon as they do, any other browser will need to
implement the same spec to stay compatible or loose even further market
share. "Fortnite" wouldn't matter because they have a browser that can
only display a single website and that website is only ever displayed in
their browser.

OMEMO is kind of an example where we got in a similar situation: so many
clients (counted in user numbers) in the open XMPP ecosystem do support
it, that to stay compatible with the ecosystem, you kind of have to
implement it. That's mostly not relevant for walled gardens though.

Marvin