[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Full Text Search in MAM

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 12:47:17 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 12:40, Andrew Nenakhov
<andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com> wrote:

> Why reinvent something that is already available in the most popular XMPP server since at least 2016? Ejabberd allows server archive search via withtext:
> <field var='withtext' type='text-single' label='Search the text'/>

It's not "reinventing", it's standardizing. 'withtext' is not a
standard form field (implementations using it are violating XEP-0068),
and there is a need for a standard form field.

> I believe it would be best course to just amend XEP-0313 with what already exists, and be done with it?

There is a bunch more stuff to consider, such as locale of the search
query and any advanced search syntax so that clients can provide the
correct UI to the user.

I don't think this protoXEP is anywhere near finished, but it's a
necessary start.

Regards,
Matthew