[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Inbox

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 22 12:59:50 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 11:46, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:

> On 21.01.20 17:05, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
> > The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
> >
> > Title: Inbox
> > Abstract:
> > This specification proposes a mechanism by which clients can find a
> > list of ongoing conversations and their state.

> """
> Any counter of unread SHOULD be accurate, however client implementors
> please note that due to heuristics involved and other issues these
> counters can be inaccurate at times.
> """
>
> I am aware that those counters are inherent racy, but could we introduce
> a boolean attribute 'accurate', defaulting to false, to signal that the
> counter data is accurate (at the time of determining the number).

I don't *think* they're racy, particularly. I mean, yes, if you get an
inbox at the same time another message is send or another is acknowledged,
sure, but otherwise not, and even then it's not totally clear that has to
be racy.

I was more thinking in terms of the server just not knowing the client
state.

So anyway, the heuristic inaccuracy I was considering is really a matter of
saying to client developers that if the server says you have two unread
messages but you know by your local cache/state you've seen one, then
you're probably right.

What this does mean is that we probably can't signal that it's accurate or
not, because if we knew, we could do something about it.

Dave.