[Standards] Call for XEPs to Advance in the Process - XEP-0066 (OOB)

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Wed Jan 22 17:37:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:13:13PM -0500, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 11:42, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> > - Is in Draft and you think should move on to Final
>
> Similarly to carbons, XEP-0066: Out of Band Data [3] should move forward
> or be deprecated. Given how well it works in the simple case, I'm
> tempted to say move forward even though it doesn't have all the features
> one might wish. Having a simple way to say "here's a URI, you can do
> something with it" seems very valuable to me.

Agreed.  In our SMS/MMS bridge, we are planning to use the OOB "hint" that Conversations provides for HTTP-uploaded images as an indication that the user wishes to send the contents of the URI as an MMS (e.g. a picture message) instead of just sending the URI itself in a text message.  So OOB is useful for us, though we're happy to be informed of better ways to do this.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/