[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Full Text Search in MAM

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jan 23 22:22:28 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 20:20, Andrew Nenakhov <
andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com> wrote:

> ср, 22 янв. 2020 г. в 17:47, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>:
> > > I believe it would be best course to just amend XEP-0313 with what
> already exists, and be done with it?
> >
> > There is a bunch more stuff to consider, such as locale of the search
> > query and any advanced search syntax so that clients can provide the
> > correct UI to the user.
> >
> > I don't think this protoXEP is anywhere near finished, but it's a
> > necessary start.
>
> WELL if that is really necessary from your perspective, it would be
> nice if the process of formalizing the namespaces and stanza formats
> could be sped up, so we don't deploy more instances of servers and
> clients that use search in 'ejabberd' way.
>
> Modifying ejabberd and our server and clients to this type of search
> looks rather trivial and can be done really fast.

Matthew has proposed restricting this such that it explicitly MUST NOT have
any special terms - no "OR" or "-" etc - and add a second that does have
these (but can include instructions in the MAM form).

We then need to decide if/how to handle locales, which are important for
full text searching.

The first change is simple enough, I can pen something the moment we have a
number. The second part we might get done at the Summit, and if not, I'm
hoping we can reach a consensus quickly.

All we need to do if agree on the semantics on the search fields, there's
no other syntax, so unless that locale discussion drags on, we could be
done within a month or two.

Dave.