[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Inbox

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jan 23 22:31:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 20:17, Andrew Nenakhov <
andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.com> wrote:

> ср, 22 янв. 2020 г. в 16:44, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu>:
> >
> > On 21.01.20 17:28, Andrew Nenakhov wrote:
> > > Notice: this is a rather early sketch of a copy of a technology that we
> > > already use to great results and have implemented in a open-source and
> > > available XMPP server and at least two clients on different platforms
> > > (third is upcoming in a few months, too), that sync with each other
> > > swiftly and correctly.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, could you reveal the names of those implementations?
>
> Names won't surptise you: server implementation is Xabber Server (XMPP
> part is a rather seriously modified version of ejabberd), and client
> implementations are Xabber for Web and Xabber for iOS. The latter is
> undergoing final cleanup stages (like, supernice voice messages
> recording, layout fixing, etc), but it's XMPP part is performing quite
> well. Xabber for Android implementation is upcoming.

FWIW, ESL's mod_inbox, which my proposal is closely based on, is already
implemented (in MongooseIM mainline) and our two clients for iOS and
Android. These all predate my joining Pando, but I believe the server
versus client portions were written independently, and the iOS and Android
codebases share no code at all.

The differences between mod_inbox and this proposal are principally syntax
- ESL's is a mirrored syntax of MAM in a different namespace, with
adaptations to make it more suited for Inbox, whereas my proposal directly
reuses MAM syntax components. This means it's simpler to construct, and
derives benefit from other extensions to MAM (like MAMFC) automatically.

As such, I believe it should work effectively to provide similar efficiency
to your proposal with lower state management effort on the server.

Dave.