[Standards] NEW: XEP-0425 (Message Moderation)

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at fsfe.org
Fri Jan 24 20:52:04 UTC 2020

On 24.01.20 15:31, JC Brand wrote:
> Yes, I considered the "reason" element to be optional

Thanks for the clarification :)

Another point that I stumbled across while working on an implementation
is that §3 states:

> The groupchat service will append a Unique and Stable Stanza IDs
(XEP-0359) <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0359.html> [4
<https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0425.html#nt-idm46375481120368>] stanza
ID to the message before relaying it to all participants.

In example 4 we can see that the <apply-to/> element contains the
content of said stanza-id from example 3 as 'id' attribute.

However, XEP-0422 is only ever talking about origin-ids which makes me
believe that referencing a stanza-id from a fastening is in fact illegal.

> In order to mark that a payload applies to a previous message, a
message is sent containing an "apply-to" element in the namespace
"urn:xmpp:fasten:0", with attribute "id" that contains the Unique and
Stable Stanza IDs (XEP-0359) <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0359.html>
[3 <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0422.html#nt-idm45636013192896>]
origin-id of the stanza to which it applies, the children of which
element are those that apply to the previous message (these are "wrapped
payloads" because they are wrapped inside the <apply-to> element).

This is probably feedback for XEP-0422 from here on.

I'm not sure at this point if XEP-422 should allow referencing both
origin-ids and stanza-ids within the id attribute. If referencing both
is allowed, I'd propose to have different attributes for both (eg.
<apply-to sid="stanza-id"/> or <apply-to oid="origin-id"/>. That would
make it easier for clients to interpret the id and would make lookups a
lot easier.

Paul