[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-01-22

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 29 11:23:10 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 08:27, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:

> * Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> [2020-01-28 19:04]:
> > 3a) Proposed XMPP Extension: Full Text Search in MAM -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/fulltext.html
>
> +1 this is a good first step, and I'm sure we can figure out the
> remaining parts (like an additional form field for "exact string match")
> on the go.
>
> > 3b) Proposed XMPP Extension: Inbox -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/inbox.html
>
> +1
>
> I like this one as well. However, I see very much value in integrating
> it with an "Open chats" list, even though these are technically
> two overlapping sets of JIDs that don't need to be equal.
>
> What I would want of an "open chats" list:
>
> - JIDs that I have an ongoing conversation with, to be synchronized
>   between clients
> - last message from each respective conversation (like here)
> - new incoming messages automatically add the sender to "open chats"
>
> I think this is technically very similar to "marked" in this XEP, but
> semantically different and also requires a different UI. Maybe all we
> need is another boolean flag "open" in Inbox.

So you want another flag that essentially defaults to true, and a client
can set to false, and filter on only the true ones?

I note that pep's requirements were an entirely client-controlled and
independent ordered list of open conversations, which I think would cover
this.

The "Marked" I see as a substitute for not having any mechanism to mark
unread, so marking allows an independent "I'm interested in this don't let
me forget about it" state that matched "Unread" in user semantics.

I'm fine with adding more metadata, in principle. Even fine with making the
metadata extensible.

But it might be an idea to keep this minimal and deployable to begin, since
the complexities of wanting to track unread messages are in themselves
going to take time for servers to do.

Dave.