[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Inbox

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 29 20:53:20 UTC 2020

On 1/26/20 8:45 PM, Maxime Buquet wrote:
> On 2020/01/21, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
>> The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
>>
>> Title: Inbox
>> Abstract:
>> This specification proposes a mechanism by which clients can find a
>> list of ongoing conversations and their state.

>> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
>> proposal as an official XEP.
>
> The discussion has popped up a few times, but we quickly discussed again
> keeping the opened tabs/chats in Poezio between restarts yesterday[0].
>
> We already have a "reorder" plugin that does that but it's all manual
> work atm. One has to edit a text file themselves and then /reorder at
> runtime to apply (generally not long after starting).
>
> You can of course move tabs without any plugin.
>

> I was also curious and read Inbox again today, thinking it could help.
>
> I am missing important things though, a dumb list of JIDs that I can
> set and retrieve, also keeping the order in which my tabs/chats are.
Such a feature is of upmost importance, as I am always amazed that
different clients are able to restore my MUCs automatically. And it
seems sensible to extend that to 1:1 chats and future groupchat
protocols like MIX. And a stable order is also nice, especially for TUI
client users like me.

However I am not sure how much of this is really inbox territory but
bookmarks territory. So I wonder if XEP-0402: "Bookmarks 2" could and
should be extended to support 1:1 chats, future groupchat protocols and
order information. It feels like we would otherwise fragment the
server-side saved state information over various places (inbox,
bookmarks) which does not seem desirable.

- Florian