[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Mon Jun 1 16:51:51 UTC 2020

As I understand your argument, it seems the disagreement is actually over what happens when no hint is provided, rather than whether an opt-in hint should be provided.

Your view is that some clients may default to not styling, and other clients may default to doing styling, and so the same message viewed on two different clients will render differently. This is also going to happen where some clients support styling and others don't - you can't really fix that.

What you're doing is implicitly demanding that all supporting clients MUST default to adding styling, and thus if no hint is provided they will render with styling; if an opt-out is provided then there is no styling; and if an opt-in is provided then they also apply styling - which obviously makes the opt-in somewhat redundant. The opt-in, then, doesn't add complexity, doesn't make it harder to implement, and doesn't make it less consistent, it's just unnecessary.

I suppose the only remaining question is whether you can make such demands on all clients. (There is a related question of whether there's any point implementing this if you're not even going to use it by default, but I think that should be a user preference.)