[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Jun 1 16:59:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, at 11:58, Marvin W wrote:
> PS: As a sending client you can already opt-out using a hack: By
>     prepending the opening (and, if needed, closing) styling directive
>     with zero-width space (U+200B)

I hadn't actually thought of this. I'll need to think about it more, but
we might recommend this in the spec since this is the exact use case
zero width spaces are for (things that are word boundaries but where
spaces don't necessarily go, between characters that shouldn't be put
together in connected scripts, etc. My only concern would be that they
also have the meaning "you can add a soft break here" which is probably
*not* what you want in this case.

I'll think about it more, but this is definitely at least close to the
point of a zero-width space and might be worth documenting.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited