[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-05-27

Marvin W xmpp at larma.de
Tue Jun 2 20:17:03 UTC 2020

Hi,

1. I don't think we should add new rules, especially none that are hard
to implement - and most people (and also many programming languages)
have trouble with unicode, so I'd qualify this as hard to implement.
2. I also disagree that category C characters should not be allowed to
appear after the opening directive. An example where I think there is
valid use to put it after the opening directive are LRO/RLO.
3. After checking again the definition, I disagree that WORD JOINER is a
good way to indicate no formatting should happen: "The function of
character is to indicate that line breaks are not allowed between the
adjoining characters, except next to hard line breaks." Thus, if this
character is put behind a space, it stops line breaks from happening at
that space which would normally happen, and I don't think that's what
people wanted.

Solution could be:
- If a space, the start of the string or a newline precedes the opening
directive, it can be disabled by prefixing it with U+200B
- If another opening directive precedes the opening directive, it can be
disabled by prefixing it with U+2060

Both are not sane solutions and I wasn't actually very serious when
mentioning it. So maybe it's not a good idea to mention it in the XEP
even though it technically works.

Marvin