[Standards] Evaluating gitlab.com as new location for XEP Editor repositories (xeps+registar)

Jonas Schäfer jonas at wielicki.name
Tue Jun 16 17:12:37 UTC 2020

Hi Sam,

Thanks again for your feedback.

On Dienstag, 16. Juni 2020 19:03:40 CEST Sam Whited wrote:
> This seems like a lot of extra maintenance burden and a very complicated
> solution (and this is why editors get burnt out and we go through them,
> the whole process was already somewhat complicated).

Let me clarify one bit: I was asking for opinions from the community
perspective intentionally. On the editor side, we are a bit sceptical (and
we’ll evaluate this carefully) but in general estimate that this solution will
reduce the burden of our tasks. So please don’t worry about that for now and
focus on the contributor side of things.

> If Docker doesn't
> actually make things easier for us, maybe we shouldn't use it.

It makes things a lot easier for iteam, who are also understaffed. There’s a
trade-off to be had here.

> Alternatively, if we do still want to use Docker, why not just use
> whatever GitHub's CI is or one of the many CI solutions that can work
> with GitHub without setting up lots of new infrastructure, repos,
> syncing, etc? (ie. Travis, Circle CI, Drone, etc. there are tons of them
> and many of them are free but also designed to work with GitHub)

Due to the messed up permission model of GitHub, all of them (I can’t test
travis because I signed up with them a long time ago, Circle CI does, GitLab
CI for GitHub does, Docker Hub does for newly added repositories; Drone seems
to require infrastructure we don’t have or want to maintain on the iteam side)
seem to require full write access to all repositories whichever account is
used to set them up has access to or will ever have access to, public and
private.

kind regards,
Jonas