[Standards] Council Minutes 2020-02-26

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Mar 4 10:22:51 UTC 2020

Am So., 1. März 2020 um 01:14 Uhr schrieb Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com>:
> 4b) Advance XEP-0198 (Stream Management) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0198.html
> Georg is unsure, but it's doing its job, expect for the unclear resume host connection mechanism.
> Dave noted a comment on s2s, possibly from MattJ, which he has yet to consider, but s2s is under-specified at best.
> Jonas doesn't think it's possible to move forward if there are zero s2s implementations; Dave doesn't think any were explicitly mentioned, which would itself be a procedural reason for not advancing.
> Zash mentions that mod_smacks for Prosody does support XEP-0198 in s2s, though not resumption, and it's disabled by default - Dave thinks it's unclear what resumption would do for s2s.
>
> Jonas: [on-list] (yet to catch up on the thread)
> Daniel: -1 (people have brought up valid, but fixable, concerns)
> Zash: -1 (haven't read that thread yet)
> Dave: -1 (lack of clarity on s2s implementations)
> Georg: -1

Do we have a way forward with this that isn’t just ignoring it?
Are any of the authors who are still active in the community (looking
at you Matt and Dave) willing to incorporate whatever the consensus is
on how to proceed?

Do we want to eliminate s2s from the XEP?

Are server developers interested in implementing 198 s2s?

Personally I would hope for the latter. But I’m not a server
developer; Maybe it's more complicated or unnecessary as it seems.

> 4c) Advance XEP-0368 (SRV records for XMPP over TLS) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0368.html
> Travis Burtrum promised to make some changes to XEP-0368, mostly clerical, and changing a SHOULD to a MAY.
>
> Jonas: -1 (changes need to be made)
> Georg: -1 (liked the proposed wording)
> Zash: [on-list]
> Daniel: [on-list] (not caught up on that)

-1. I think there is consensus for some changes.