[Standards] XEP-0184: Message Delivery Receipts and XEP-0333: Chat Markers

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Fri Mar 6 07:19:31 UTC 2020

>> Therefor deprecating/obsoleting XEP-0184 seems like a very bad idea to
>> me, I'd rather remove the received/acknowledged feature from XEP-0333
>> and rename it to read markers (which is the only part most implement
>> anyway) so we don't have an overlap in features and people stop claiming
>> that XEP-0184 might be obsoleted by XEP-0333. Also reducing the feature
>> set of XEP-0333 could make it easier to advance to Draft/Final state.
>>

> I'd like to:
>
> * Drop received. I like the notion, but I don't think it provides solid guarantees, and the overlap with '184 isn't persuading me it's worth keeping.
> * Keep Displayed. Works well and widely implemented.
> * Either drop Acknowledged, or make it an explicit request on a marked message.

That has been pretty much exactly my TODO list for three years or so.
I was leaning heavily toward just dropping ACKs. Plus I'd like to
allow people to send display markers opportunistically into group
chats. (Which is another reason why 0333 and 0184 a different and we
shouldn’t just make 0184 obsolete.)

cheers
Daniel