[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Reminders

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Mar 11 17:05:22 UTC 2020

Hello,

I agree with the sentiments that there should be a way to query for
existing reminders, and also that ad-hoc command syntax is probably not
too bad for this kind of use case.

However, I think we have yet another mechanism that might be used /
useful for that kind of data, and it's PEP.

I could imagine an ad-hoc command for adding reminders, and otherwise
just regular PEP access to a node, with backend server logic to "expire"
reminders when they are due and to convert them into messages.

Indeed I'd say that for a personal reminder, the message should have a

For groupchat reminders, it might be a little bit more complicated,
because the occupant who triggered the message might have left. However,
a reminder might well be sent from the room's bare JID.

Georg